Monday, September 21, 2015

Week 68 ~~~ A letter to his DAD

Kevin's letter this week was very personal to me and not a lot to share, however he wrote his dad a great letter and it shows how much he has grown; so I thought I would share that. I will put a little of what he shared in my letter at the bottom.  Thank you for reading every week and sharing in Kevin's journey!!
Charlene

Hi Dad;

You know I was sitting alone last night and suddenly a flood of memories came into my mind from my childhood, and I just wanted to share them with you (you can read my email to mom for everything else)

1. Bubble Bobble together as a family, getting to the last level and never beating it.

2. The light-saber battles where we would break them outback.

3. That star-wars ship game where we would always play together, and which we also did not beat the last level on.

4. Going to San Francisco and buying a giant stuffed fish and eating at Bubba Gumps in a convertible

5. Going to home town buffet every Thursday.

6. When you used to tell me Mom was moody and I went and wrote that down in a paper for school and got you in big trouble.

7. Pretending to be afraid of the rides there at Disneyland so they'd be more fun.

8. Cans and bottles...so many

9. Various vacations to Hawaii and scuba diving.

10. All of the movie nights, and game nights, and just boys nights to everywhere.
I had a pretty darn good childhood and am super grateful. I see so many parents here who are super abusive to their kids and who don't treat them right at all, and never realized how lucky i was. I love you!



Hi mom, I am really happy to hear from you, and you are definitely right about that with pride. That is one of the most famous talks that President Benson ever gave, and honestly it is so true. It is such a difficult thing to overcome but it is something that as alma says in Alma 5, if we are not stripped of pride we are not prepared to meet God. 

As far as conditions here goes I am up to my neck in stress right now. My zone has 7 companionship's and right now there are only 11 investigators with a specific baptismal date. That is not good, and honestly we got hit hard on Sunday. The night before we had 30 people with baptismal dates, but like no one that committed to go went to church. Its so tough mom. You have to understand, I have a reputation for 2 thing in the missions. 1. I ask a lot of questions always. 2. I love reactivating people. The goal right now for the zone is that everyone can get the 15 priesthood holders paying tithing needed to get a functional ward. I put the elders to work on that, but as soon as they did, its like their horses with blinders and forgot their investigators. Its incredibly frustrating because on my own, I have always had my conscience which wants to help reactivate people and zone leader pressure which made me baptize. But its weird because I dunno sometimes people just cannot focus on more than one thing, and I don't know what to do to help them.
In addition, I don't know if I told you but I got something called chicungooya. Now its basically like a dengue that gets spread in the air. That stuff sucks! I felt like someone hit me with a truck and my knees were hurting so bad....I still got my companion up to run. Don't worry its all gone now and i actually didn't get it that bad, but right now like everyone here has it, and for the old folk and kids its pretty bad because they're confined to their beds basically. I miss you lots, and I love you. Please take care, do well with your law school and I know everything will be a okay.
LOVE ELDER STANDRIDGE
-- 

No comments:

Post a Comment